400th Anniversary Wignacourt Aqueduct Silver Proof
A silver coin commemorating the 400th anniversary of the inauguration of the Wignacourt Aqueduct. The reverse of the coin features aspects of the Aqueduct namely: the Wignacourt arch, which was located at Fleur-de-Lys, and the Wignacourt water tower sited at Floriana. These are framed within a motif which recalls the surviving arches of the aqueduct. The obverse of the coin carries a portrait of Grand Master Alof Wignacourt who financed a large part of the cost incurred for the construction of the aqueduct, which carried fresh water from the Rabat plateau to Valletta. The aqueduct was one of the largest public utility projects undertaken by the Knights of the Order of St John and was inaugurated on 21 April 1615.
Diameter 37.00mm; Gross weight 22.85gr; Alloy 0.925 Silver Minting limit 2,500
Actual sizes of coins may vary from pictures