• Auberge De Provence Gold Proof
  • Auberge De Provence Gold Proof

Auberge De Provence Gold Proof



This is the Third in the Central Bank of Malta's series of numismatic coins featuring the Auberges of the Knights of St John. The obverse of the coin shows the emblem of Malta with the year of issue, 2013. The reverse features the façade of the Auberge de Provence. The Auberge de Provence was built in the 1570s according to a plan drawn up by the renowned Maltese architect Gerolamo Cassar. In the late 17th century, the French engineer Mederico Blondel remodelled the Auberge, giving it a more ornate façade. In the early 19th century, following the departure of the Knights and the arrival of the British in Malta, the Auberge de Provence was used as military accommodation and later on as a hotel. In 1826 the upper part of the Auberge was leased to the Malta Union Club. The latter extended its lease to the whole building in 1903 and occupied it until 1955, when it was transferred to the Government to house Malta’s National Museum. The National Museum became known as the National Museum of Archaeology in 1974 and continues to occupy the premises. Diameter 14.00mm; Gross weight 1.25gr; Finesse 0.999 Minting limit 2,500 Actual sizes of coins may vary from pictures

Join our Mailing List

Sign up to receive our email updates

Search our store